MARYLAND’S UNDERAGE DRINKING LAWS
If you are under the age of 21, drinking alcohol is illegal anytime, anywhere.
Maryland’s .02 Law makes it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to drive, or attempt to drive a motor vehicle while having a blood alcohol content of .02% or greater.
CONSEQUENCES of failure to obey these laws can mean:
- Loss of drivers’ license
- Paying a sizeable fine
- Cancellation of automobile insurance
- Premature end to fun
TIPS TO STAY SAFE ARE:
- Always say NO to alcohol use
- Remember a blood alcohol content of .02% can be reached after one beer
- Refuse to ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking
- Drive defensively—- always be alert for those driving drunk!
OCEAN CITY’S LAWS AND ORDINANCES
In addition to Maryland’s Underage Drinking Laws, Ocean City has its own laws and ordinances:
- Consuming alcohol in public by ANYONE is prohibited.
- Carrying an open container of alcohol is a violation. This includes the beach areas, sidewalks and the Boardwalk.
- Using a false identification is a criminal offense that can result in a fine and/or loss of license. Plain clothes police officers will enforce this law.
- Loud noise or music will be a violation of the noise ordinance.
- Disorderly conduct, destruction of property and failure to obey a police officer are common charges that often result from parties in Ocean City.
- Sleeping on the beach, in city parks and on the streets is prohibited and unsafe.
- Beaches are under the direction of the Beach Patrol. Surfing areas are designated daily.
- Skateboarding is restricted to private property and the skateboard park on 3rd Street.
- Parking meters are enforced 24 hours a day in parking lots. No parking on red curbs.
- Bicyclists must use the far right lane which is designated Bus/Bike lane, and they must obey all traffic signals. Be aware of the bus traffic. Bicycling on the Boardwalk is permitted between 5:00AM and 10:00AM from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Tobacco use is prohibited in the underage night clubs.
BE DRUG AWARE
|ALCOHOL||Physical and mental impairment, sexual dysfunction, dehydration|
|MDMA (Ectasy)||Impairs memory, judgment and coordination. May also cause loss of muscle and motor control (seizures), heart and/or kidney failure, severe breathing problems, coma or death.|
|COCAINE||Highly addictive, 15 minute high, sever depression, anxiety, paranoia|
|GHB||Heavy sedation that can cause death or coma when taken either alone or with alcohol OFTEN USED AS A PREDATORY DRUG-SEXUAL ASSAULT AND ROBBERY|
|HEROIN||Highly addictive, withdrawal accompanied by flu-like symptoms, severe depressant|
|INHALANTS||Hallucinations, passing out, 1 sniff can kill you, immediate brain loss, coma or death|
|KETAMINE||Similar effects to PCP, OFTEN USED AS A PREDATORY DRUG|
|LSD||Hallucinations, paranoia, panic and violence, reoccurring flashbacks|
|MARIJUANA||Memory Loss, perceptual distortion, sexual dysfunction|
|P C P||Depression, uncontrollable behavior, confusion, loss of control over body and mind|
|PRESCRIPTION OR OVER-THE-COUNTER DRUGS||Every drug has different effects. Be aware of the effects and adverse reactions of any substance you use. These can include oxycontin, DXM, Aderol, Ritalin, and Dexadrine|
|ROHYPNOL(ROOFIES)||Similar effects to GHB, OFTEN USED AS A PREDATORY DRUG|